If your control panel is displaying an HL error code, please follow the below steps to try and remedy the problem.
Please DO NOT use an extension cable, as this can be a fire risk and can cause issues with your hot tub. We recommend using an external mains socket that is weatherproofed and professionally fitted. If you are using an internal mains socket, ensure that the power cable is not running through any windows or doors.
An HL error usually means there is a blockage, preventing water from circulating around the pump & heating system. The blockage can be caused by a dirty/old filter, a blocked impeller or limescale build-up, especially if you live in an area with hard water. This can cause an artificially high temperature reading to be displayed on the control panel.
Is your CleverSpa® showing HL error code & no longer heating?
If so, please follow the below steps to try and resolve this issue.
Check for water flow:
- Place your hand into the water approx. 6-8 inches away from the outlet.
- You should feel the water flowing through the outlet valve.
If the flow rate is very weak or non-existent or your hot tub is making an excessive rattling/grinding noise, follow the steps below:
- Ensure that your filter has been cleaned.
- Be sure to also clean and rinse the protective filter cover.
- Replace your filter with a new one.
- Ensure the filter is not overtightened.
Remember: Sun cream, fake tan, soap etc can force the filter to work much harder
Is your CleverSpa® still showing HL and not heating, despite cleaning your filter?
If so, please follow the below steps to try and resolve this issue:
- Turn off the filter and heater.
- Remove the protective filter cover and Filter.
- Place the filter cover over the filter inlet and use an elastic band to hold it in place
This helps prevent debris from being drawn into the pump while there is no filter fitted.
- Press the ‘Heater’ button on and reset the temperature on the control panel.
- If the temperature now begins to rise and maintain its temperature it is likely that your filter needs replacing.
- Please replace your old filter with a new one. Check out our filter maintenance information.
Many areas have hard water, causing limescale build-up within home appliances. As with other products we strongly advise that you incorporate a descaling routine into your CleverSpa® maintenance schedule to reduce the effects of limescale build-up.
We recommend that the CleverSpa® Descaler is used weekly to prevent scale formation and build-up, this will ensure your hot tub is running smoothly.
- Turn off the CleverSpa® at the mains.
- Remove the Filter and protective cover.
- Place your garden hose pipe against the filter inlet hole and outlet holes.
- Run clean water through the system, helping to remove any debris or loose limescale.
- Collect and remove any loose particles from the water, ideally using a net.
- Follow the instructions for use as directed on the Descaler packaging.
If your CleverSpa® is used without a filter, or debris has been drawn into the motor it may cause the impeller within the water pump to seize. We advise following the below steps to check for problems:
- Turn off the CleverSpa® at the mains.
- Drain the water from the hot tub
- Remove the filter and protective filter cover
- Perform a visual check of the outlet inside and out – check for anything that may be obstructing the water flow.
Are you still having problems with your CleverSpa®?
If following our troubleshooting instructions has not resolved the problem and you have a valid warranty, we can bring your CleverSpa® in for repair. If you haven’t already, you can register your warranty by visiting: CleverCompany.com/support/warranty.
If your warranty is valid, please provide images/a video of the following:
- Power source - plug & socket
- Proximity photos in relation to the position of the spa to the house
- Hot Tub setup
- Condition of the hot tub
- Receipt/proof of purchase
If you have the box your CleverSpa® was purchased in, we will be able to arrange a collection for you. If you don't have one, you will need to request a new box from us or purchase your own. Please read "I need to pack my CleverSpa® away, what size box do I need?" for the correct box dimensions.
If you want to request a repair of your CleverSpa® or ask for a box to be sent to you, please complete our Submit a request webform.